Saturday, August 22, 2009

Starting over

Sometimes writing is like running. Like a runner training for a race, I've been writing my newest wip for the past year. Sometimes it's been a tough slog, sometimes the writing's come easily. The past two weeks I have been working on solidifying my plot, making sure all the pieces fit together, all my questions are answered, the villains are consistent, etc. This past week I tested my plot summary with both my Chicago and Bristol writing groups. Both asked very similar questions. And most of the questions were questions I had asked myself recently, too. It made me realize, in spite of my effort, there are still some big plot holes to fill. And it felt like I'd trained for a year, finally run my big race, and fallen five seconds short of the qualifying time. Not a good feeling, especially when so much work has been poured into it.

Of course the problems with my plot can (and probably will) be solved, but the solutions are intangible to me at the moment. So it's back to the drawing board.

But first I think I need a bit of a break and a chance to clear my mind. So this morning I started playing with a different project. As I said in a previous post, I may change this new project multiple times, but at least I have something new to play with, a chance to enjoy my writing for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment