Tuesday, August 25, 2009

This is the sort of silliness I'm talking about


Considering my previous post, I had to share this picture with you.

What is it? It's a chart listing the driving emotions behind one of my main characters (unfortunately it's illegible because I took it with Photo Booth, so it's backwards). I've then plotted my major events under the different emotional strands. See, I know how my character (Isabel) feels at the beginning of the book, and I know how she feels at the end, but the middle is a bit fuzzy. So I'm hoping this will help me to make sure the rest of the plot is structured around her emotional development.

Now do you see why I hate this? Wish I could just figure it all out and start writing again. But do notice how neat my handwriting is. I take great pride in that.

4 comments:

  1. True geniuses have sloppy hand writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm impressed. I usually chart things out only when I'm a few drafts in and trying to clean up the story arc. I don't have the patience to make a chart any earlier, especially by hand! I don't think your method indicates a lack of creativity - it just means you're smart enough to infuse logic with creativity early on, so you don't get completely off track :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, thanks, Anna. I actually am a single draft in, but finding myself re-thinking a lot of this character, so it is back to the drawing board (literally). Now hopefully the logic works!

    ReplyDelete