Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tackling picture books

Welcome back, brain! You've been missed!

Well, I'm still hacking up a lung and developing Mount Kleenex, but after the first good night's sleep in--days? weeks?!--I'm feeling a bit more like myself. Which is good, cause the to-do list has gotten a bit massive in my absence. And okay, blogging is not on the top of the to do list... but I've missed it!

This week in my "Forms, Ages and Stages" course we're working on picture books. Which is good, because I don't think I could have handled much more this week! Specifically we're discussing one of the greatest picture books of all time, Maurice Sendak's WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. (Ohhh... click here for WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE tattoos! Also some other literary ones). But our tutor recommended some other picture books as well. So I also read:

Our tutor also recommended we re-read favorites from our childhood. Makes me realize this would be much easier if I were living anywhere near closer to home (but maybe my parents have already thrown away GO DOG GO?) Anyway, I remember a few favorites, but I'm sure there were many more: Of course GO DOG GO, along with WACKY WEDNESDAY and just about anything else Dr. Seuss, the STREGA NONA books, SYLVESTER AND THE MAGIC PEBBLE. Unfortunately, none of those were in the Bath Spa library, and I haven't gone out into the big world since Saturday, except to visit the doctor.

But I'm really excited about trying my hand at a picture book or two of my own. I think the excitement will wane dramatically when I discover just how hard it is to have character development, a climax and resolution in 300 words, but for now it sounds like a fun challenge. I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, what are some of your favorite picture books? And Mom, Dad (I know you're out there!), what were some of mine?

4 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better and back into your tasks.
    When we moved, we did give away many of your children's books, but did try to save the better ones. You can go through them next time you are home.
    3 books I remember reading over and over with you are:
    - Goodnight Moon
    - One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (Suess I think)
    - Caps for Sale (starring a monkee as I remember)

    Maybe those three will jog your memory for others.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dad--glad to hear there's a few left! Yes, I DO remember CAPS FOR SALE. That one was great! And of course Goodnight Moon and Seuss... I remember when the Butter Battle Book came out and you bought it for me and we read it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Custard the Cowardly Dragon. I hadn't ever been able to find it since then, but doing a google search just now, I discovered it is an Ogden Nash poem. I guess my elementary school just happened to have an illustrated copy. I also loved my illustrated Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. Funny, the two books that come to mind first are poetry, but I don't consider myself a lover of poetry now.

    Jennifer M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennifer, thanks for the comment. How interesting that it was the poetry in your childhood that you really remember. Ogden Nash is quite fun--I went through a brief Ogden Nash phase in high school!--and in reading the poem just now, I would love to see it illustrated.

    ReplyDelete