Monday, December 7, 2009

Holiday recipes: cranberry applesauce

As someone who loves food and cooking, when the holidays approach I get twitchy. I dream of Christmas cookies, thick soups and homemade applesauce. So, given that it's a chilly, rainy British day, I figure I'll share one of my favorite holiday recipes:

Cranberry Applesauce

Serves 4 as a side dish

½ cup sugar
4 medium apples, peeled and cored
1½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries (doesn’t make any difference)
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger (fresh is nice, but not necessary)
½ teaspoon grated lemon peel (right… I just use a splash of concentrated lemon juice)

  1. In a large saucepan, heat sugar and 2 tablespoons water over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Stir occasionally.
  2. Stir in apples, and cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
  3. Stir in cranberries for 5 minutes (cranberries should begin to pop)
  4. Cover and cook 5 minutes more, until apples are mushy
  5. Add spices and lemon, cook and stir 5 more minutes
  6. Remove from heat and mash with a potato masher or the back of a spoon to your desired consistency
The recipe is courtesy of my Aunt Janet--thank you! I won't tell how many times during the winter months (it might be more than once a week) I end up making this dish. Phil swears it tastes like pie filling, I love its tartness. Its festive red color makes it perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas and various holiday potlucks. It's also cheap and easy to make. It goes well with turkey, chicken, latkes, and can also be a snack, breakfast, or an ice cream topping.

5 comments:

  1. Anne -

    Got a kick out of this post. Actually, as I was reading the recipe I was thinking how good it sounded. Glad you like it. Now I gotta make me some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Glad you saw this post! The applesauce really has become one of my favorite recipes. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to try this recipe.
    Must find some cranberries. I don't know the word in German, but I should recognize what they look like.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cranberries are hidden in the exotic/out of season fruit area in my grocery store, near the mangoes, kiwis and plums. I have this very funny image of you wandering your German grocery store mumbling cranberries to yourself. =) I hope you can find some--it is a good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure cranberries will be easier to find here than in China!

    ReplyDelete