Wednesday, December 2, 2009

NaNoWriMo Round-up

Well, it's now December, which for many of my writing friends means the end of NaNoWriMo. For the uninitiated, the fabulously acronymed NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. In the month of November, new and experienced writers band together to challenge each other to write an entire novel of 50,000 words.

For several years I've wished to participate. I consider myself a slow and dreadful plotter, so I've often wondered if NaNo would free my creativity. However, because of personal concerns (being sick the entirety of October) and being immersed in several other writing projects, this year I couldn't commit. Yet I have actively followed other writers through their NaNoWriMo pursuits. The month seems to inevitably teach writers a lot about themselves and their writing process, whether they complete the 50K challenge or not.

So I wanted to take the opportunity on the blog to do a NaNo round-up of sorts and share several fascinating blog posts with you, written by those who finished NaNo and those who did not.

Children's author Anna Staniszewski completed NaNo, though she blogs about how the real win is improving your writing habits.

Joanna Smith also completed NaNo, writing a total of over 90,000 words! But her blog post is a honest and heartfelt description of how she feels she failed at NaNo. It's also a thoughtful discussion of the writing process and what she learned about her manuscripts and herself from NaNo.

Maggie Stiefvater (author of the NY Times bestselling SHIVER) shares a Dear John Letter to NaNo on her blog. Not only is the post hysterical, it's a fascinating analysis of Maggie's process and why NaNo doesn't work for her.

Author Keren David (WHEN I WAS JOE is coming out this January!) also didn't complete NaNo. Her blog post explains why she stopped and is an interesting description of her writing process and also of a published author's writing demands.

What about the rest of you? Did you or didn't you NaNo? Are you happy with the results? What are your plans for NEXT November?

6 comments:

  1. So honored to have made the round-up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to share a good blog, Joanna, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking to my post! I've been in serious NaNo withdrawal the past few days, but am finally getting back into my regular writing schedule (which isn't nearly as frantic). I love NaNo because it gives me a big ol' push to power through to the end of a manuscript, but I can definitely see how it's not for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 16 year old daughter completed her NaNo novel.
    I'm working on other writing projects, so didn't NaNo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the round up! I've included it in my post NaNoWriMo post as well. Thanks for such great sources.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, happy to share a good blog! I can imagine having already started an idea, NaNo would be a great way to push through it. Maybe I can time it like that for next November? Life just never seems to go to plan!

    Wow, Sarah, that's incredible, good for your daughter! I wish someone had encouraged me to write like that when I was her age.

    Thanks Intrepid Blogger, great to see your links, too!

    ReplyDelete