Friday, January 8, 2010

Oh Chicago

Thought I'd ease myself back into the world of blogging with a picture post. Real hard core, textual analysis and thought-provoking commentary will resume on Monday. Right...

I was back in Chicago, my previous home for six years, for 2 and a half days this past week. It was good to be back. I visited with a long time friend, my old writing group and my old school, and felt like a bit of a celebrity. Though more strangely, it felt like I had never been gone. There were new buildings, even a new skyscraper gracing the skyline (the Trump Tower, which was still in construction when I left. I like it, though, as one of my friends pointed out, it is rather penisy... but then again, aren't most skyscrapers?).

The image is borrowed from the Trump Towers website.

But otherwise, it just felt like... home. I wish I could have stayed.

But what fun it was to be a tourist in Chicago and to feel no compunction at taking pictures. Other than freezing, of course. But then again, that felt like being home too.

Here's a few of my favorites:

The city view from the river:


The Bean:


Michigan Ave. post-Christmas. For those of you in my class, remember that story about Katie and Russell in the bus? Now you can see the setting, minus all the Christmas shoppers and traffic.


The view out from Navy Pier. Yes, we walked to Navy Pier. Yes, it was below O Fahrenheit (-17 Celsius). Yes, it was a bit nippy, but look at this view!


I should take this opportunity to say I also used my vacation back to the US to visit family. I enjoyed seeing you all immensely. I'll let you enjoy your privacy, though, and NOT post those pictures. Especially the ones of me and Phil's cousin as the Babes of the 80s.

2 comments:

  1. Anne, thank you for sharing. I've never been to Chicago. I especially liked the view from the Navy pier.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks for letting me know. In some parts, at least, it's a beautiful city. Happy new year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete