Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Favorite covers?

For my MA class in Contemporary Children's Publishing, I'm writing an essay on cover art: how do books' covers come about and do good covers affect sales? As part of this, I've been researching designers, authors and publishers on what makes a good cover vs. a bad cover, and thought that would be an interesting series of topics to discuss on the blog.

But first, what are your favorite covers? The ones you proudly display on your bookshelf? The books you had to own when you saw the cover? The covers that had you continuously flipping back to them as you read the book?

Let me know your favorites, up to three, and I'll post a gallery of favorite covers on the blog next Wednesday. If there are multiple editions or editions for different countries, include a brief description or a link to the image so I know which cover you're referring to (unfortunately Blogger's comments don't let you post images--argh!).

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Two favorites:
    The Night Life of Trees, published by Tara Books, India. Oh my, there are a lot of covers and they are all gorgeous. Pick one that you like. This book is a work of art--you should get your hands on a copy.

    Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt. US cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay book covers!

    I LOVE the covers for Megan Whalen Turner's Attolia books; this cover for The Queen of Attolia is literally what made me want to read the series: http://ebooks-imgs.connect.com/product/400/000/000/000/000/176/554/400000000000000176554_s4.jpg

    I've always loved this cover for The Hobbit: http://retaliators.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/hobbit-book-cover.jpg

    And I love this cover for Tombs of Atuan; the layout and the illustration and the colors are just gorgeous to me: http://www.readinglab.co.kr/admin/book/data/tombs%20atuan.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, those are some good covers! Thanks so much for sharing, Joanna and Sarah!

    ReplyDelete