Friday, April 2, 2010

On Vacation

Well, mentally at least... still in Bristol.

When I met with my tutor last, she told me I had to go on vacation from my manuscript for a week when I finished the rough draft. I was so pleased with a required vacation--how often does that happen?

Of course many novelists will take months between their first draft and their revision, but since my novel needs to be submitted by the end of September, I don't have that luxury. I can afford a week, though.

Yesterday I did something I've been meaning to do since my first interview at Bath Spa University: I brought my camera.

I photographed my journey up the drive:



Behind me:


Some sheep:


Know how I keep saying I have classes in a castle? Here's the castle from the distance, across the lake:


Here's the castle close up:


I also took the opportunity yesterday to follow a footpath off the drive. It's a little difficult to see, but that's Bath Spa's campus in the distance:


It was so nice to spend a day getting outside and away from everything. The daffodils were in bloom. It didn't rain. And you know how when the wind blows through a field all the grass moves like waves? I had forgotten that.

The trees make sounds in the wind, too, when the tops of their branches whisper together and their trunks creak:


At the risk of sounding ignorant, does anyone know what this plant is (the brown dead looking one)? I saw them last autumn in Dorset, when I was first inspired to write Project Sparkle. How cool to see them again now.


What's next? This weekend Phil and I are visiting Glastonbury (yes, for all you King Arthur fans, THAT Glastonbury): small cute town, ruined abbey, lots of walking trails... and possibly King Arthur and Queen Guinevere's grave. And I just got bus tickets (there may be a train strike) to visit London for a day next week. Can't WAIT!

3 comments:

  1. The plant looks to me like a teasel. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a thistle.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom and Keren! Did some google image searches, and teasels and thistles must be in the same family, but it's definitely a teasel. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete