Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Crazy writing and vacation plans

I need to finish my Project Sparkle revision by the 23rd. That's next week Friday. I'm on the climax now, writing my new scenes frantically, feeling some of the same rush as a reader anxious to learn what happens next. I'm hoping to finish this weekend. Then I'll reread and revise some more, write the final two chapters (denouement and epilogue), and, if there's time, rewrite chapters 1-2 (which are a mess, but I have some new ideas I want to incorporate and get my tutor's feedback on).

So I've been eating, sleeping, and dreaming the novel. The other day I told Phil I had finished 26, but still needed to revise 24-25 before I could go on to 27. He looked at me blankly and it took me several minutes to realize he had no idea I was referring to chapter numbers. Course, he was happy to just let me babble away.

All of this has me thinking about October. See, my final revision is due September 30th. That week is also the Bath Festival of Children's Literature, which I'll be attending, as both a volunteer and a visitor (I'll blog more about it in September). That week will be madder than now. So the following weekend, October, I need to go on vacation.

I've got it all planned out. It will be a weekend away with Phil. Some place in the UK, maybe continental Europe. There will be water, maybe some canoeing or kayaking. Hiking trails, lawn chairs. Sunsets, good food. I will not bring a pen. It will be paradise and I'll be dreaming about it for the next three months.

Now I just need to figure out where to go. Ideas? What have you done to celebrate finishing a novel?

2 comments:

  1. Back in the day, when I was writing adult nonfiction books that found publishers, I celebrated contracts with small luxury purchases: a Spode cup and saucer (Indian tree pattern), an Aynsley porcelain-handled letter opener in the tobacco leaf pattern (because even with the advance, I couldn't bring myself to pay what a teapot would have cost), and a gold-plated fountain pen.

    The fountain pen was a lot more trouble than it was worth. I wish I'd bought an Aynsley cup and saucer instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the idea of buying something lovely for yourself, especially to celebrate a real contract. I have thought about treating myself to some books. To bring on the vacation, of course. =)

    ReplyDelete