Monday, August 23, 2010

Eating, sleeping, breathing Project Sparkle

The closer my due date comes, the more frantic I get about Project Sparkle. I'm not behind, but come September 30th, I want to turn in the best, most complete novel I am capable of writing. Obviously I don't want to hit my deadline and think, "If only I had about four more days..."

So the past two weeks I've been pushing myself harder and harder. And worse, unlike when I was drafting Project Sparkle this spring, I don't have many milestones to point to for reassurance. I can't say, I wrote 3000 words today, or I drafted my climax this week. Rather, I've been adding paragraphs, tweaking individual lines, reassessing the tone of certain scenes. And apparently revising takes me a LOT longer than drafting.

Those of you following me on Twitter have seen my frustration these past few weeks. It feels like for every hour I put in, I come up with three more things to add to my to-do list. Each night I've struggled to fall asleep, as every time I lie down, I start thinking through what else needs to be done and how best to do it.

I had a welcome treat this weekend. Firstly, I told Phil if we didn't go out I might start throwing things. Apparently that was the wake-up call he needed. Saturday morning we went out to lunch, shopping, and saw Toy Story 3. A very welcome distraction. Secondly, I finally reached a point in my revision where I needed to do some reading to see if my tweaks and rewrites were working. I read chapters 1-8 of Project Sparkle, roughly the first third of the book. And you know what? It was actually good. Really good, in fact.

So I am making progress. I would just can't wait for the end of September.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes we really need to step away from the work and do something very different, something that has nothing to do with writing. It serves as a vent that lets pressure out and cool, fresh air in. It clears the head and lets you get back to the work, fresh and ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're doing great! Revising can be painful, but seeing the progress you've made really does make it worth it. And, as Andrea said, sometimes you have to allow yourself a bit of a break. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Andrea and Anna! Took a long walk today. On top of my fun weekend, I think that helped. I'm feeling refreshed for a few more weeks of slog. And knowing the novel is getting better is a huge incentive too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll make you a deal, Anne. You draft my WIP and I'll revise yours. Because my drafting is going at a pace that is positively glacial (as in, moving of, not melting of).

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHHH! Yes, I accept!!!! =)
    Not sure how that would work, but I can't WAIT to start drafting my own again.
    Sorry to hear yours is going so slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your revision! Hopefully the relaxing weekend and the reassurance of reading through the finished chapters helped. Here's a cheer, in case you need some more encouragement.

    *\0/* You can do it if you try, V-I-C-T-O-R-Y! Gooooooooo Anne! *\0/*

    p.s. *\0/* = cheerleader :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, thank you, Stephanie! *hugs* You know, I think I NEEDED a cheer! =)

    ReplyDelete