Friday, September 17, 2010

Wild Bristol

Sometimes when I come home late in the evenings, I see a fox race across my path. I always stop and watch. I've named him Robert.

I know in the UK foxes are often seen as a nuisance, but growing up in the US, I don't believe I ever saw one in the wild until I moved here. To me, they're magical, mysterious. I've even been thinking about incorporating one into my writing.

Earlier this summer, the fox (sometimes two of them--perhaps Robert's girlfriend?) was often in our back garden at dusk. I would go to close the curtains and stand there watching. He never looks good, with a long, raggedy tail. I haven't seen him in weeks, so I worry he's finally gotten into a scramble he couldn't get out of. But I keep watching for him.

In the meantime, I've discovered a new creature. Right at dusk, bats swoop by our front window, hunting. Obviously they aren't only a British thing; my parents just had a bat infestation in their house! But I don't think I've ever seen them this close. Somehow I think bats, or at least vampires, are a little too popular in children's literature at the moment for me to write about them, though.

It's a little thing, but after years of living in Chicago, it's nice to see more of the outdoors, especially creatures I've never seen before.

Now to see if I can get some of my own photographs.

10 comments:

  1. I think it's nice, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first time since we moved to our house, we've had bats fluttering outside at dusk (or maybe I just haven't noticed them until now). I'm kind of horrified and fascinated by them at the same time. As long as they don't get caught in my hair, I'm okay with them being there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've been wondering how long these bats have been here and I've just noticed them! I know exactly what you mean about being horrified and fascinated. Our flat is one story up and sometime I watch these people walking down below and think "Don't you know there's bats flying around?!" I very much like them outside when I'm inside. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen foxes in several locations in Milwaukee, including one streaking over the snow in our backyard our backyard, and one magical evening when I saw an adult supervising three kits playing on the parkway less than a mile from our house. It's always magical. I hope Robert comes back in the autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about you when I wrote this post, Anne. I wish I had half your photography skills to take some pictures of these critters myself.

    I'll definitely let you know if I spot Robert! Interesting that I never saw foxes growing up in Michigan, but maybe I just never got that lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool that you saw a fox! We saw an armadillo the other day. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, an armadillo would be even cooler! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My parents, who live in Maryland, have a bat that routinely roosts in their window. They have a spot between the window and the storm window that is accessible from outside, and the bat likes to curl up there at dawn and leave at dusk. It's been doing that for so many years that my parents think it is a succession of bats, not just one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting that they only ever see one bat, though! I've been trying to figure out where our bats are coming from. They fly right in front of our window, so I wonder if some are in a nearby tree, and some are roosting on our building, or on the neighbor's building. I need to do some more research, clearly!

    ReplyDelete