Friday, October 29, 2010

Cooking vegetarian

I've never been a big meat eater. When I was little, I used to hide pieces of meat under the rim of my plate. It never occurred to me until I was much older that my parents would find my circle of meat when they cleared the table.

My husband jokes that I would be happy living on bread and water. Add in some fruit and cheese, and I really would be quite content.

However, I've never gone totally vegetarian. I like my steak and bacon. Plus, Phil is much more of a meat eater than me. But as an animal lover, I'm very conscious of what type of meat I consume, and how much of it. As the cook in the family, I usually prepare meat twice a week. The other five days of the week I try to keep our diet vegetarian.

Now, as I already said, I'd be content with a plate of bread and a tall glass of water for dinner. But Phil is shockingly a little more picky. This means I'm always on the look out for filling, flavorful vegetarian recipes. I've found several good ones over the years, but never as many as I would like. How many times a week can I toss veggies with pasta? Or rice? Or make soup?

One of my recent favorites, which I discovered when I returned from Uruguay craving vegetables, is a pasta primavera recipe from Food Network (I substitute the chicken stock for veggie stock to make it vegetarian).

Do you cook vegetarian? Do you ever run out of ideas? Do you have any good recipes to share?

Next Friday I'll update on my progress with OctAnNoNaNoWriMowithNoGuilt-o. I'm still really struggling with it, but thanks to my marvelous critique partner, I may have just figured out what was missing (though I said that last Friday, didn't I?)

4 comments:

  1. My favorite meal is steamed greens (chard, or kale, dandelion, or whatever) with lemon and olive oil drizzled over them, and a loaf of crusty whole grained bread. Heaven.

    I also like beans with pasta and some veggies thrown in. Or tofu with mushrooms and squash over pasta.

    I tend to get ideas for combinations from Vegetarian magazine (try them online).

    Bon Appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... have to be honest, I've never had steamed greens, but given how much I like collard greens, I don't have much hope. Although maybe it's the bacon fat part of the collard greens I don't like. Love your addition of olive oil, lemon and bread, though! =)

    I love beans with veggies and pasta. Phil doesn't, which is annoying, but if a dish has enough flavor, he'll usually overlook them.

    I didn't know I could get online recipes from Vegetarian magazine. Fab! Thanks for all these ideas! Now I'm hungry... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Collards are strong flavored greens--try chard, so mellow, so sweet... Now I'M hungry!

    (Try: http://www.vegetariantimes.com/ )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll give it a try! Thanks, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete