Friday, November 12, 2010

Finding Joy

I usually have a rather annoyingly cheerful personality, but for various reasons these past several weeks have been rough.

A few years ago I bookmarked this article by Jamie Jefferson called "25 Instant Mood Lifters." I'm not really a self-improvement magazine type of person, but I continue to find these suggestions helpful. So I figured I'd share. Maybe someone else could use some help today, too.

Here are some of my favorite tips:

3. Think about how things would look if your life were perfect. Now imagine your life is just that way, and live out the rest of the day with that awareness.

10. Go outside. A few minutes of fresh air can do wonders for your mood.

12. Keep a gratitude journal, in which you write down things that you are thankful for. This is a great way to start and end each day. For a quick "pick-me-up," write as many gratitudes as you can in one minute. Don't think; just write.

19. Pour a cup of hot cocoa or a cup of coffee and read a favorite magazine for a few minutes.

22. Write down what's bothering you, as quickly as you can without stopping to think about it too much as you write. You can achieve a huge amount of clarity from this simple exercise.

What are some of your cures for feeling down?

5 comments:

  1. I'm big on #10, going outside. A few deep breaths does wonders for me. I love to sit on my front steps and watch the birds flitting about for a little while. That usually does it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like going outside and/or exercising. Just being active lifts my mood. Hope you have chased the blues away? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea: Yes, something about getting out, seeing nature, moving my feet--that really does it for me, too. It was pouring rain today, which usually does keep me inside, but I was so anxious to get out today I braved it anyway (and enjoyed myself!).

    Bridgette: I think the key might be to doing something that gets us outside our own heads! Maybe something about using our feet makes it harder to dwell on everything bothering us. Thanks for asking about my blues! I've definitely chased them away the past few days, but still a few more hurdles to jump over, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going outside really helps for me. Just being around nature refuels me. Also working out and doing some good cardio.

    Chocolate never fails either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I WISH working out improved my mood! Chocolate definitely works, though. =) Actually, I think good food in general, or actually cooking itself, works for me. Thanks, Karen.

    ReplyDelete