Monday, December 20, 2010

Walking in a winter wonderland

I have an unabashed love of Christmas carols. I start singing them in November (with occasional digressions in July), continue to sing them through Christmas, and carry on a week or two into January. I listen to them while baking, while wrapping gifts, while walking to the grocery store.

Lately I've had Walking in a Winter Wonderland going through my head. It might be because Bristol had a proper snowstorm this past weekend. We got over two inches (massive accumulation for England). At one point the snow looked so beautiful, chunky flakes streaming from a gray sky, that I had to run outside and dance in it.

And look who else seems to like the snow. Yes, I finally got a picture of Robert!
But there's another reason Winter Wonderland is playing on repeat in my head. It's this stanza:

Later on, we'll conspire,
As we dream by the fire,
To face unafraid,
The plans that we've made,
Walking in a winter wonderland

Phil and I have made lots of plans, and dreamed lots of dreams, this past year. Our British visas run out next October. He's searching for a new job, I'm in the process of submitting Project Sparkle to agents. It's terrifying. We don't know where we'll be next year. We don't know if all of our hopes and hard work will come to fruition. Yet it's also exhilarating, all these amazing dreams the future could hold. For now, in the midst of Christmas, snow, friends, and family, that's the vision I'm going to hold onto.

Happy holidays to all of you. Thanks for reading Critically Yours this past year, and for your comments and encouragement. Best wishes for all of your hopes and dreams for 2011.

I'm taking a short holiday from the blog. I'll see you in the new year!

But in case you still need a bit more holiday cheer, here's the whole of Walking in a Winter Wonderland:


12 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful holiday Anne! Wishing you all the best in 2011!

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of Robert! We have foxes on our street (and a bobcat--he's so pretty)...

    Merry Christmas, Anne! And may the New Year see Project Sparkle find a publisher! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea: Wow, a bobcat! I'd be terrified, but I bet he is gorgeous! I watched Robert and his girlfriend trotting around in the snow for several minutes before it occurred to me to get out the camera! I'll have to be faster next time! I do love being able to see nature like that (something I missed living in Chicago).

    Thanks so much for your kind wishes (seeing Project Sparkle find a home is DEFINITELY the dream!). Merry Christmas and best wishes with all your writing projects in 2011, too.

    Elisabeth: Thank you, and happy holidays to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to see Robert! What a great way to end the year! Looking forward to hearing from you in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anne! I thought of you when I took Robert's picture! Looking forward to all your adventures and blogs for 2011, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your break and your holidays! I am looking forward to following Project Sparkle all the way to the bookstore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our next-door neighbor had a fox in her garden once. I was so excited until I heard that it was just a cub and a very weak, hungry one too. She called the RSPCA, but by the time they got here, it had slunk off. Every time we see foxes, we feel happy and privileged. Badgers and hedgehogs are great to spot too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Bridgette!!! Let's hope!

    I've never seen a badger or hedgehog in the neighborhood, unfortunately. But I love keeping my eye out of our two foxes. They really are such incredible creatures, and I never saw them growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful holiday, Anne. I'll be reading your blog in the New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Medeia! Happy holidays to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Holidays to you, too, Anne!!
    Hoping you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Heidi! Happy holidays to you, and wishing you all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete