Monday, January 24, 2011

Signs that your writing is going well

Have you ever been so deeply engrossed in a story that you imagine you're there? When I read Lucy Christopher's STOLEN, I imagined the hot desert sand blowing across my cheeks, the sun beating down on the back of my neck, and the sky that stretched forever. And when I looked up, only to discover I was in England and it was still raining, I was shocked.

Well, yesterday the same thing happened to me. Except it wasn't a story I was reading. I was working on Project Demo. And I thought, "Finally, after all this time and tinkering, I'm truly engaged with this novel."

Other signs Project Demo is going well?

Everything reminds me of Project Demo. I was reading an article on a famous musician and thought, "Wow, she sounds just like my main character." I saw the movie The King's Speech (great movie!), and walked out thinking, "My main character's afraid like that, too."

I find I'm mulling over Project Demo in the shower, over breakfast, as I fall asleep.

It's pretty exciting for a story I once gave up on.

What are some signs that your own writing is going well?

6 comments:

  1. Very cool, Anne! That's what it's like for me when I'm "in the zone" and at times like this (sick, not writing) I really miss it. I love that feeling of productive immersion in an alternate reality of my own creation.

    I can't wait to see the King's Speech! It opens here in February.

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that feeling! When everything reminds you of your story and you feel like part of your brain is still in it, no matter where you are. For me, that feeling tends to go away once I really get into revisions, but it's great while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so exciting when writing just flows and you're so into the story! It doesn't happen to me very often, so I try to make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! So nice to share writing excitement with people who get it!

    Elisabeth: It really does feel like an alternate reality, doesn't it?

    Anna: That's a great description of it. How funny that it goes away for you in the midst of revisions... I think for me, eventually I get so sick of it, I wish it would go away! =)

    Andrea: Oh, that's so true, Andrea. I keep telling myself to push it while it's making sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful encouragement because just today I was thinking about something completely different from my current project when I tied the topic back to my main character. It was such a moment of realizing, how I really do *know* this character. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is a wonderful moment, Bridgette--even if it is bizarre the connections we make! And what a great feeling to move forward in your writing with.

    ReplyDelete