Friday, January 21, 2011

Writing to The End

Think back to high school PE. You're running the mile. You're doing well, you've run the whole way, you're going to make it. You can see the finish line just a few feet ahead of you. So you stop and walk it in.

After all, you proved you could do it. You made it to the finish line. Right?

That's the way I write rough drafts. And I'm not sure if I'm being efficient about it or incredibly lazy.

With Project Sparkle, I wrote up to the last chapter. But I had no idea how to tie everything together, so for that last chapter I just wrote a rough sketch of what might happen. Then, during my revision process, I had to rewrite the last third of the book, as the climax ended up happening in a different place, with a new character. I had suspected the climax would be a problem as I wrote the rough draft, but I pushed myself to keep going almost to the end. Was it worth it? Did I learn anything new? I'm not sure.

Now I'm nearing the end of Project Demo. I'm starting the climax, on track to finish by the end of January.

And I don't want to write anymore.

Yesterday I outlined the whole climax. I know (roughly) what happens, how it ends. So it should be easy to write. Except I really don't want to.

I've finally figured out what Project Demo is about (I didn't quite know before). So I'm excited about going back to the beginning and starting the rewriting process. I don't think my climax will have to be completely rewritten this time. But certainly it will have to be tweaked. And I want to write it right the first time.

So... lazy? Efficient? Intuitive? I'm really not sure.

Do you listen to your gut when you're writing? And do your rough drafts always make it to The End?

2 comments:

  1. I listen to my emotions waaaaayyyy too much when I'm writing. For me, it ends up being lazy. However, I don't think it's bad for a writer to listen to their intuition. sometimes slowing down is good. It give you time to let an idea simmer and become great instead of just good, or settling for what comes easiest. I think each writer needs to examine their own motives for the slow down.

    good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing, Christy. How great that you've managed to figure out your motivations so clearly--even if they usually are laziness! =) I've been much happier writing today, so I think my intuition must've been correct. But I figure either way, as long as I keep plugging away at Project Demo, hopefully I'll get where I need to be. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete