Friday, February 25, 2011

I'd like to thank the little people...

Girl Friday, who blogs at Reading, Writing and Ribaldry (which sums up her blog rather perfectly!), has become a good blogger (and Twitter!) friend the past few months. So I was chuffed (using one of my favourite British words, just for GF!) to have her bestow upon me the Irresistibly Sweet Blogger Award. And for letting me know my ballgown and tiara for the acceptance speech were optional, because you know, mine did happen to be at the cleaners.


Here's how the award works:

1) Thank and link back to the person who gave you this award.
2) Share four guilty pleasures that you have.
3) Pass the award on to six other sweet blogs.

Like Girl Friday, I'm not sure I have many guilty pleasures... I'm old enough and wise enough (or perhaps just stubborn enough) to figure if something makes me happy, there's no need to feel guilty about it. But I have managed to come up with a few...

1. Lifesavers
Especially the Wint O Green ones (yes, they really are called that). So thick and sugary and minty... What? I like having minty fresh breath. So I stockpile bags of them whenever I go to the US.

2. Fashion

I know. I'm just about the most unfashionable person imaginable. And it's gotten worse since I became a student, then a full time writer. I blame Project Runway. Which got me started reading Tom and Lorenzo's fashion blog (which is one of the funniest and most addictive blogs out there, kittens). So now I find myself having conversations about Jennifer Aniston's new hair style and Michelle Obama's new stylist, and that dress Rihanna wore to the Grammys. And I'm only being somewhat ironic! It's a very strange place for me. Especially since I'm not even entirely sure who Rihanna IS (I don't get out much). So perhaps I'm a little out of my element. But I refuse to be embarrassed about discovering all the cutting-edge, creative, beautiful things the fashion world is doing.

3. Baths
The longer, the more bubbles, and the better the reading material, the happier I am. Though recently I discovered 700+ page literary tomes on plot get a little heavy in the tub.

4. Hockey
I've been accused of being vicious and blood-thirsty for my love of this game, but love it I do! And not for the violence, no matter what certain friends and husbands may say! But for the speed, the power, and the grace (yes, they may be 200+ lbs and missing teeth, but put them in ice skates and hockey players are amazingly graceful). I've missed it a lot since I moved to the UK. As many of you know, Phil and I are looking to move again in the coming year. It's not exactly top priority, but it would be nice if my new home could have a good hockey team (and not classless thugs like Chicago's Blackhawks--sorry, but it's true).

Okay, that's probably more than you ever wanted to know about me and my strange fixations. Onto the awards!

For all your encouragement and friendship, for teaching me about writing, making me think harder about my writing, and even more about life, and above all for laughter, I present the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award to:

Elisabeth at FictionForge
Bridgette at Bridgette Booth
Mary at ResidentAlien
Anne at Making It up as I Go

and two long-time friends who I only recently discovered writing fantastic blogs:

Jyourist at Nexus
Adoptsomom at Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Congratulations! I'm only sorry I couldn't share it with more of you! Now go dust off those tiaras!

14 comments:

  1. Awww! You are so sweet! Oh wait, someone else already told you that :-P.

    I'm I disqualified from accepting if I don't know 4 other bloggers? LOL

    Hmm, off to borrow a tiara from the kidlet... but the princess dresses are much too small for me!

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. ack - four guilty pleasures and SIX blogs - oy! I really am in danger of being disqualified! I can't even read the criteria properly LOL.

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're chuffed. It's easy to sound British, just apologise to people when they bump into you in the street and say 'Bugger' when you swear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisabeth: Hah! Who cares about rules? Just enjoy yourself and rock that tiara! =)

    GF: Thanks again for the blogging love! Actually, I really knew I had lived here too long when I stubbed my toe and cried out, "Oh bloody 'ell!" I haven't managed to incorporate bugger in my vocabulary yet; must work on that. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOT! Sounds like a fun time. I hope I can get an award someday.

    Congrats everyone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Anne, you have made my weekend. Thank you!

    Can't remember where I left my tiara and ballgown though - will a bedazzled headband and yoga pants work? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay -- I get an award! (Jumping up and down)

    Thank you so much for this, Anne, it's made my Friday too, along with the box of chocolate I got in the mail. These things don't come along every other day (or I'd get a really big head, I'm sure).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, TD. Next time, I'll save an award for you! But regardless, feel free to get on your tiara and join the party!

    Bridgette: Happy to share the love! And considering we're writers, a bedazzled headband and yoga pants fit the bill perfectly! LOL

    Mary: What a great Friday you're having! I'm happy to be part of it! And congrats again on the chocolate (I'm assuming it's for your poem?)! I don't know... we probably would get big heads if these things came along more often, but it might be a nice change for a while. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm soooo taking a bubble bath this weekend! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen: There's nothing more relaxing! But make sure you have a good book! ;) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Anne, thanks for this honor! I've seen this blog award on a couple of blogs that I check out once in a while. Never thought it would come my way.

    And, congratulations on your own hilarious acceptance speech!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adoptsomom: You're welcome, happy to share the love! It really has been a treat to read your thoughtful blog. Makes up a tiny bit for all the great conversations we used to have in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Thanks!

    Your acceptance speech cracked me up.

    So, with the Oscars and all, I will have to roll out the red carpet to my studio door so that I will remember to toss my hair and flash a big toothy grin before I sit down at my desk or drawing board to write or make art. Oh, and yes, I'll have the tiara hanging on the back of my chair for easy access and accoutrement. (I always work better with shimmer, glisten, and sparkle around my cerebellum.)

    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hah! You crack me up. And I miss you, too! Somehow having a tiara on the back of a chair seems guaranteed to add sparkle to whatever you do. I must try this. =)

    ReplyDelete