Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Buying books

Between temporarily living overseas, not working, and being a little obsessive about libraries, I don't buy many books. But whenever I buy gifts for others, or receive gifts, it's usually books. And any extra money I come into is usually spent on more books.

So I was thinking this week about some birthday money I had stashed away and started compiling a list of books I've been hungering after:

Young Samurai: Ring of Water by Chris Bradford (this is the latest in Bradford's series; I reviewed his other Young Samurai books here)



Jazz in Love by Neesha Meminger (both this book, and Meminger's previous book, Shine Coconut Moon, have received excellent reviews)









Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters (I could easily get this from the library, but I've really loved Waters' previous books, so I think I'd like to own this one. Fingersmith was one of my top ten books of 2010).






Red Glove by Holly Black (the sequel to White Cat, which I reviewed here).

I'm a little torn about Red Glove. I'll need to preorder it. I can get the hardcover cheaper and earlier. But look at the UK paperback's cover! Love!

Have you read anything good lately? What books are you hungering to buy? Anything I should add to my list?

7 comments:

  1. Love your list - lots of new titles for me to check out! Thanks for sharing.

    I recently finished Jean Hegland's Into the Forest - wow! One to read slowly, savoring the words and phrases, as well as the story.

    Just this week I finished The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown (an adult title - I was looking for a break from YA and MG) and I really liked it. Would definitely read more by her in the future. I read this one as a "kindle for mac" - first time I've read an ebook on the laptop and it actually wasn't that bad (my e-reader isn't a Kindle).

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that Red Glove cover is AMAZING. So much better than the photo one (also the girl looks cross-eyed lol). I'm not much help in recommending things as most of the books I'm reading aren't new releases, I'm still trying to catch up on lots of classic kidlit.

    One new release I can't wait to read is Dancing Jax, read a review & the first 2 chaps and looks brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth: Ohhhh, and those are two suggestions for books I don't know! But they're now added to my wish list. Love those books that are so beautiful that you want to hold onto every word.

    GF: Yes! LOVE the Red Glove cover! I'm so completely over faces on covers... and this one in particular looks quite dated. I wish more publishing houses would branch out and embrace strong graphic designs.

    You'll have to let me know what classics you're really enjoying.

    I saw a review of Dancing Jax and was intrigued; I'll have to check out those chapters. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know ever since I read your recommendation about WHITE CAT, I've been intrigued and have read the first chapter and love it! It's on my TBR list now. I've heard a lot of good things about RED GLOVE Love the UK cover - gorgeous!

    I have JAZZ IN LOVE on my list. I really love Neesha's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen: Oh, I'm so glad I could help you discover a new book! One of the things I love about White Cat is how different it is from most other things out there.

    I'll let you know how I get on with Jazz in Love. Really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the cover of Holly Black's book! Amazing! I've been reading all MG and YA lately. I really want to read Angel from the Maximum Ride series, The Liar Society, Hex Hall, the rest of The 39 Clues series--no, they're not all new but I've been getting behind in my TBR list because there are so many good books out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly: Ohhh, a lot of good ones one your list that I know about but haven't read! There ARE so many good books out there, and new ones keep coming out! A good problem to have, I guess. =)

    ReplyDelete