Friday, April 22, 2011

Out of ideas?

I have days where blog ideas are popping up everywhere. It's like walking through an orchard, picking fruit. I could write about this one, or that one, or that one. Last year hubby got me a notepad for the shower (Aqua Notes FTW!) and some mornings it's filled with blog ideas.

Other days (like today) I dread a blog day because I have absolutely nothing to write.

I could skip a day... but I hate to skip days when I could write, have time, and my regular readers (thank you regular readers!) expect a post.

Sure, I always have something to say... I've had a good rant going on in my head lately about people who don't understand capitalization, but that might come across a little harsh. I could talk about all the craziness going on in my real life, except I don't like to talk much about personal stuff on the blog, nor get overly whiny. So... what's left? What do you blog about when you don't have anything to blog about?

Some bloggers post link round-ups. I did read some GREAT posts this past week about following your writing dreams, people who squish those dreams, and plan Bs (so you can buy food and shoes):

Here's Karen at Musings of a Novelista on Plan B's

Here's Sarah Ockler at The Contemps on Dream Squishers, Backup Plans, and Other Things That Ruin Your Life

Isn't it fascinating how sometimes blogs seem to be having a conversation with each other even when each came to their idea independently? Actually, authors do that, too. Sure, there are imitators, but a lot of vampire and werewolf books these past few years sprang up at exactly the same time. That would be an interesting blog post, too.

Or bloggers (or at least those of the writerly/booky persuasion) babble about books. I do that a fair amount. By the way, a shout out to Mary and Girl Friday: I finished Regeneration by Pat Barker (your recommendation) yesterday and was blown away! Really didn't think it was my type of thing, but it was amazing.

Also, last night I started my first Sara Zarr book, Story of A Girl. Wow. What a beginning! I kept going back and rereading it because it was so perfectly written.

Or bloggers start out thinking they don't have anything to say and end up writing a whole post anyway. How embarrassing.

What do you do when you don't have anything to blog about?

And while I'm writing about being out of ideas... anything you'd like me to blog about?

8 comments:

  1. I gave you an award on my blog. Stop by to claim it.
    http://www.kellyhashway.com/apps/blog/show/6801109-stylish-blogger-award

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you read Regeneration - I won't say I'm so glad you enjoyed it, because I really can't imagine anyone not loving it :) Do read the other two books in the trilogy - the first is my favourite but they're all good, she's an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly: Thanks so much! Happy news for a Friday!

    GF: The other two books are already on my Goodreads to-read list! I need to read something a little happier before I tackle them, but definitely will. Thanks so much for the GOOD recommendation! So exciting to have a brand new author I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose it's because some of my students visit my blog, I like to write about books on the craft of writing. Sometimes that's my go-to topic when I haven't come up with anything else. (I mean, how many knitted socks posts can one do? ;) )

    Often I read/follow blogs not only for their content/information, but for their voice and just to hear what they have to say. Some bloggers and their posts become comfortable destinations--like you and yours--and I read no matter what the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good go-to idea, Andrea. And thanks so much for the compliment to my blog. As much as I love doing it, I put a lot of time into it, too, so to hear that it's a "comfortable destination" really means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, I so feel you sometimes on the overflow of blogging ideas and then the desert storm of nothing.

    When this happens, you'll always see a space post on my blog! Because Hubble pics are gorgeous :)

    We'll have to compare notes when you finish STORY OF A GIRL. One of my favorite books. Loves Sara Zarr!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen: I really like this idea! Not to do Hubble pics (not so much my thing, though the pictures are gorgeous!), but just to find something I love and when I'm stuck to babble about that. I can always do that! =) Thanks for the suggestion.

    Bizarre! The word verification for this is "comet"!

    I now love Sara Zarr, too! I really need to get her other books. I couldn't believe how raw her writing was. Thinking about blogging a bit more about it on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete