Monday, May 30, 2011

Pulling everything together

It's been a whirlwind of a week. My apartment is a mess, and my mind even more cluttered. And it doesn't appear any of it will be tidying itself up anytime soon! So I apologize for a scattered post today, but there's a few things I want to say.

Firstly, a huge thank you to Cat at The World Crafter's Inkspot and Kip Wilson Rechea and her blog. Almost two weeks ago they both awarded me a blog award, respectively, the Stylish Blogger Award and the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award. I'm so embarrassed it's taken me this long to claim the awards and to say thank you. Please take the time to check out their lovely blogs.

Secondly, I've been saying for some time now that TODAY is the day I will have my third draft of Project Demo complete. Uh... well, I've still got two scenes left to go, so I'll have to let you know for sure, but for now I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll make my deadline. Woo-hoo! It's been a LONG haul and there has been much whining involved (have I ever whined so much about any book?).

Apparently I'm a bit of a whiny writer. I once joked that the worst stage of the writing process was whatever stage I was at. So just so you don't think I'm a total complainer, I have to say: I think I like this stage. Most of my scenes are written, I've mostly figured out my main character's physical and emotional journey. There are still plot holes, but they're more mouse-sized than truck-sized. Now I need to figure out my more minor characters, draw some maps, and do all the detail work that makes a book shine. This is the bit where I can finally tell if Project Demo might someday be readable. Even for a whiner like me, that's pretty exciting.

Thirdly, I'm going to be away from the blog for the next week, taking a well deserved vacation from writing and Project Demo (if not my enormously cluttered mind, sadly). So in the meantime I'm going to re-run some of my favorite older posts. I'll try to respond to comments, but my access may not be as frequent as it usually is.

How are your writing projects coming along? Are you going to meet your deadlines? And, because I'm dying to know, what do you do to celebrate meeting your goals? Or, conversely, do you punish yourself for not making it?

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the two awards! My WIP is drafted and I'll be starting on revisions--probably this afternoon. I finished this WIP much quicker than I thought I would. We'll see if revisions go as smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly: Wow, that's intense! Finishing your draft and already bouncing into revisions? Sounds like you're on fire. Hopefully the revisions go smoothly for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I think all writers are whiners. :-) I know I certainly am! Enjoy your week off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna: Hah! Glad to know I'm not the only one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My WIP just went through another revision. I'm now working on a synopsis for another project and brainstorming it. Yes, I'm a whiner sometimes too! Especially if I can't get a scene right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just started editing Seeds now that the anthology is (pretty much) over. And I'm hoping to start something new - I'm just having trouble deciding...

    I'm someone who bribes and rewards myself for my work (and so I suppose punish myself by denying myself the reward if I fail...). For example, when it came to the manuscript, if I reached a certain word count by a certain date, I bought myself something (in this case, a purple PSP) then set a new reward of once I finish the first editing stage and hand it in, I can then play on the PSP.

    Enjoy your time away. You deserve it! And we should meet up for coffee(tea) and a chat sometime when you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christina: Oh, that sounds like a great tactic for getting a novel out of your mind--working on another! Good luck with both! And good to know I'm not the only whiner by a long shot! ;)

    Rachael: I'm really feeling all this extra time, and I bet you are even more so! Good luck on whichever project you decide to go ahead with! Trying to decide between two good projects is a nice place to be, much better than the alternative of not having any ideas!

    Oh, I like the idea of buying myself little presents as a reward--that would DEFINITELY be a good incentive to finish properly!

    Hope you're getting a little break, too! Thanks for the comment!

    Did I just end every single sentence in this post with an exclamation mark? Oh dear. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm re-working an entire sequence which means I'm removing a few characters. I'd love to have your attitude, and just enjoy it, but I'm too anxious about making deadlines, but you see, my Ph.D. is in Whining. :)

    Enjoy your break! And, by the way, I loved your extract.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a whiny writer, and I'm always behind my goals.

    Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridgette: Hah! I didn't know I could get a higher degree in whining! I need to get on that! =)

    You are doing one of the things I hate most, too. So scary, and time consuming. I hope you're able to pull through it and come up with something you're happy with.

    Medeia: Thanks! I really am so pleased to hear I'm not the only whiny writer out there!

    ReplyDelete