Friday, July 15, 2011

Update on Project Demo: Taking my medicine

I'm on track to finish my current revision of Project Demo by Sunday. I'm so thankful for all my generous and smart writing friends who've offered to read this draft. The thought of showing anyone this complete mess of a book makes me feel physically sick. Yet at the same time, I know this plot could really use some of my writing friends' insight! So I'm trying not to think about it too much and pushing forward.

In the meantime, I'm really looking forward to an easier writing week next week! I'll continue working, but perhaps on a less frenetic schedule, doing more polishing and easy-revision type work. On FictionForge's recommendation, I've just started perusing John Truby's The Anatomy of Story, which looks like an incredibly helpful read. I'm looking forward to jumping into it more fully next week. And of course catching a showing of the last Harry Potter movie!

How is your writing progressing?

6 comments:

  1. I've felt like that sometimes, bringing work to a crit group. But these are your friends and they'll help.

    I"ve heard of Truby's book. Let us know what you think of it. AND of the last HP movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats on the progress! I know what you mean about sending a big mess to your writing friends. In fact, I did that this week with the beginning of a story that I know needs serious help. But I figured I'd send them the mess early on so they can help me figure out how to put things in order. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you! That's excellent news! I've have some derailments but I'm still on tap to make some MAJOR progres during my July hiatus.

    Let me know how Truby's book is. I've heard some great things about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea: Yes, that's what I keep telling myself, too! These are my friends, they want to help! But still scary! Sounds like a few requests for my thoughts on Truby's book--great! I'll definitely let you know how I get on with it.

    Anna: That's why it's so nice complaining to all my writing friends here: you all get how scary and frustrating it is! Thanks! Hope you get some great feedback!

    Karen: Yes, another idea for a blog post! =) Will definitely let you know how I get on with Truby. The first chapter has already given me a lot to think about, so it looks promising.

    Thanks for all the encouragement! Good luck pressing forward in July for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giving your ms to someone else to read -- especially a discerning someone else -- is not a comfortable experience. But once you've done it and weathered the consequences, you've started the important process of getting your work out there, and it gets easier. (Says the woman who's quaking at the thought of getting her ms back from its latest round of beta readers.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary: Hah! At least I know I'm not alone in this! =) But you're absolutely right. The ms, and my dread of having anyone read it, will be better for getting it out there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete