Monday, August 15, 2011

Where have I been?

Good question! And because I've been gone for several weeks, I thought I'd answer it before I went into hiding for several more!

Good news: I think I've finally figured out what my novel's about! It's only taken... 11 months? But thanks to a serious dose of John Truby's The Anatomy of Story (which I'm looking forward to reviewing in a future post!), incredibly insightful beta readers, and a heckuva lot of butt-in-chair time, things are finally beginning to come together.

Bad news: Have you ever gotten dressed early in the morning, with the curtains still drawn so as not to disturb your husband? And it's not until you're at work in the glaring light of day that you realize you're wearing navy socks with black pants? Yeah, that's what it's been like figuring out what my book's about. Much editing to be done!

So I've missed the blog, and all of my blog friends, but Project Demo has taken over all of my time, and needs more. But never fear, I've been constructing numerous posts in my head, and I look forward to sharing them one of these days... maybe September?

In the meantime, good luck with all of your projects! And clearly I'm not getting much sun, but I hope the rest of you are taking advantage of the last few days of summer!

15 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've figured out your story, and I hope things flow nicely for you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent News!!! Yay!

    I'm trying to resurface as well - vacation, school being out (and the Kidlet's active social schedule), family visits - oy!

    The good news is I've kept a notebook on the nightstand to jot story refinements in. When I *do* get to sit down and start working again (hopefully soon!), my WIP will be *much* stronger for it. This time of thinking without writing has been good cliche'-busting time.

    I owe you and email - hoping to get to that today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your breakthrough on Project Demo is great news! It must feel like you've been holding your breath all this time and now can exhale. Have fun moving forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, all these lovely posts from my blog friends makes me miss you even more!

    Kelly: Thanks! Good luck with your writing, too!

    Elisabeth: Funny, I've been thinking of doing something very similar with my next wip: letting it marinate in my head for quite a while before trying to write anything down. Will be interested to hear how things go when you do start writing! No worries about the email--sounds like you're up to your eyeballs already!

    Andrea: Aw, thanks. I don't know if I'm exactly exhaling yet, but I'm sprinting for the finish line with all I've got left!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne,

    Congratulations on figuring out your story! And thanks for sharing your journey. Eleven months to get your head wrapped around it - this sounds like me. It definately takes me a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always a good thing when you have novel breakthroughs!

    You should definitely do a post on Truby's Anatomy of Story. I'm very interested!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luv: Good to know we're not alone! I keep wishing there was a more efficient way (and maybe there is), but my process so far really has been writing my way into a story and then figuring out what that story is. Thanks for stopping by!

    Karen: Will do, it's on my list for whenever I come back (hopefully early-mid September!). The short version is: recommended! =)

    It's so nice (for once!) to feel things coming together! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats with your breakthrough!!! You are missed, but I admire you for doing what is important, first. :)

    Keep us updated! September is right around the corner, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Bridgette! I miss being here, but yeah, gotta do the work first. ;)

    And yes, I KNOW September's just around the corner... I keep looking at my calendar and freaking out! =)

    Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And good luck to you!

    I've been reworking the same manuscript for about three years now. It takes a lot of time to reach ah-ha moments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Medeia: Ooof! Three years is a LONG time! But yes, I totally agree. Sometimes you just need to take the slow, winding road to figure out a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No summer to take advantage of here, unfortunately, but it doesn't really matter as I've been busy at work. I'm REALLY looking forward to having some time to write.

    (You can't wear navy socks with black pants? Wish I'd known that earlier...)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mary: Funny, that's exactly how I feel about British summers! Might as well be working! ;) But I hope you can find some writing time, soon!

    You never know, fashion-wise maybe you can be a trend-setter? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I took a three month blog hiatus ... but without the hiking and being out excuse. WELCOME BACK! Enjoy your new, percolating book idea. EXCITING!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Heidi! It is exciting, thanks! Good to have you back! Hope you had a good break, too!

    ReplyDelete