Friday, September 16, 2011

So, uh, Project Demo?

After taking almost two months off, for once I have a backlog of things to discuss on the blog. But I've had a few people catch me out on Twitter and here and say, "Wait... are you working on something new?" So I figured I should share a writing update. And while I'm at it, I feel the need to have a bit of a conversation with Project Demo. Why not listen in?
______________________

So, uh, Project Demo? How's it going? I know we haven't been hanging out much for the past week, but...

We had good times, though, right? I love that scene with the stars. And your characters. M always makes me laugh.

No, don't jump to any conclusions! This isn't a break up. This is just...

I still think about you. All the time. Well, occasionally. I just think if we had some time apart, some time to do our own thing, see other people, maybe...

Okay, fine, I'll be honest. Sometimes I hate you. I hate that your climax is so stupidly complicated. I hate that your antagonist is so multi-faceted he makes my head hurt. I even hate that M doesn't always seem to have an arc. Yes, I know I said she's funny... but she's got to have an arc!

Sometimes I wish I could bundle you all up and throw you on the fire and be done with you!

Yes, yes, I realize you're saved on my hard drive, my back up hard drive, my email... But that has to mean something, right? All that violence? You know I'm not typically a violent person.

Sure I loved you. I mean... I love you! Of course! But you're always so dark and depressed. It's like a funeral when I'm with you, a funeral every day. Where's the hope?

What? No! Of course there's no one else. How could I? I BELIEVE in you. You're a beautiful, powerful, complex story.

No, I mean complex in a good way.

Okay, fine! There is someone else! Someone fun! With younger characters! And it doesn't wear black all the time, and it isn't mopey! And this time I'm going to do it right. I'm going to plan everything at the beginning, so I know exactly what I'm doing, so there won't be any overly-complicated climaxes and characters without arcs.

No, I won't get bored with it! I won't lose my creativity in the process! Because this project is fun and fresh and original and...

But don't leave me, okay? I'm not sure about this. Sometimes I want to be dark, too. And serious. And I wasn't kidding earlier, when I said that thing about believing in you.

Project Demo?

*sigh*
_______________________

What does it mean that I'm such a violent, two-timing user in my head?

Anyway, that's the plan. I'm hoping this time away from Project Demo will be a good thing, and I can come back and pull together all these final strands and send it out. But in the meantime, I AM playing with something new.

I'm calling it Project Fun.

6 comments:

  1. Yaaay! Sounds like a perfect break. So many people have told me how important it is to take time away from the wip, and I finally see the wisdom now that I've done it about three times (about a month each time).

    Hope you come back to it with fresh energy and perspective! And in the meantime, enjoy Project Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There comes a time when you need to put a WIP down, to get a break from the project and the characters so you can see them freshly again when you pick the ms back up. But the need to just take a break period, to refresh YOU is also so important. Playing is a good thing :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiperoo: Thanks! It's so hard to pull away from a project, isn't it? But of course, once you do, it makes so much sense! Glad to hear it's worked so often for you!

    Andrea: You're so right! TWO very good reasons for this break! I think there's often not enough play in my routine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. Have fun. I think I'm just about at the same point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks, Cat! Hope you have fun starting fresh, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aha! So your conversations *were* a little Project Demo-lite. :)

    Good luck with Project Fun. You're such a talented writer that I'm sure either one is a worthy investment of your time.

    ReplyDelete