Friday, October 28, 2011

Books are this girl's best friends

Earlier this year, when I expected to move back to the US, I got rid of a number of books. I donated them to charity bookstores, gave them away to friends, and brought a stack I couldn't part with to my parents' house. I was down to a single shelf of books, if you can believe it.

Then October happened. And suddenly the number of books in my apartment has doubled. Pretty neat trick, huh?

At the beginning of this month, I treated myself to three new books: Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma, Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, and The Lighter Side of Life and Death by CK Kelly Martin. I read (and love) all three authors' blogs, and their most recent books have been getting rave reviews, so I figured I could guarantee a good read (plus support authors and blogs I love). By the way, a special shout out to Nova Ren Suma. She's been running a creepy, thoughtful, and FUN blog series for this month called "What Scares You?" which features numerous ya authors. Definitely check it out.

Then, just as I was tearing into my new books, the Bath Kids Lit Fest happened, in all of its mad glory, and as my thank you for volunteering present I got to select several free books from their shelves. Woo-hoo! Free books!

Then a few writing buddies loaned me some must-reads.

Then I had an incredibly lucky run. Author Carmella Van Vleet posted on the MiG blog about her daughter's struggles with her growth disorder (it's a really educational post, and worth reading). In a random drawing for commenting on the post, I won a copy of Nava Atlas' The Literary Ladies' Guide to the Writing Life (thanks so much, MiG ladies!). Author SJ Kincaid had a giveaway on her blog, and I won White Cat by Holly Black (a favorite book from this past year that I've been desperately wanting to reread--thanks, SJ!). And I won CK Kelly Martin's newest book, My Beating Teenage Heart, from author Audrey Vernick's blog (thanks to both Audrey and CK!).

I know. I was a little embarrassed by all my luck, to be honest. My husband told me I should be playing the lotto instead of entering book contests. But I won books! Can't argue with that! In the coming months, I'll be sharing reviews of Nava Atlas' book and CK Kelly Martin's (and Audrey and SJ's books are already on the shopping list). Whenever I catch up on all this reading!

Course, as much as my husband teases me about my book winnings, he knows what I love. He got me the first omnibus volume of the comic Girl Genius (which I've been lusting after ever since The Book Smugglers' fab review) for our anniversary (who knew comics were the appropriate gift for eight years of marriage?!).

So many lovely books. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. But in a good way. One can never have too many books.

What are you reading at the moment? What books are you lusting after?

10 comments:

  1. Oooh! So much luck!

    I haven't read a book in months - that is the sad truth! But I've recently added a couple of books to my wish list:
    Elizabeth Bunce's Liar's Moon,

    and Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George ,which sounds really fun -reminiscent of Diana Wynn Jones' Howl's Moving Castle (one of my favorites of all time).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm lusting after about five dozen books, on a long list by my bedside. I'm working almost full-time now, so although I have the money to buy books now, ironically I have little time to read them, as whatever free time I can wrest from work time HAS to be spent writing. But over the holidays, I'm going to make a dent in that list. Somebody else can clean the house and cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth & Mary: Ohh, you're both making me think how lucky I am that I have some time to read at the moment! I love your plan to kick back over the holidays and just read, Mary! I wonder if some books are better enjoyed because we waited for them and savored our time to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel less alone.Our shelves are a-burstin' too.
    So many books, so little time~~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I loves me some books. IMAGINARY GIRLS is one of my favorite books of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mirka: That's exactly it! And when I think about many more I want to read... I get a little dizzy. ;)

    Karen: Can't argue with books! I love having both IG and Daughter on my shelf, too. SUCH pretty hardcovers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read a lot this month too. Is something in the air?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly: Huh! Well, that would be good air and I hope it keeps coming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for books! Congrats on winning over at our MiG blog. And yes, books are terribly tempting. When we left Korea, we got rid of tons of books. But now that we're settled, the book stacks are piling up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina: Thanks, I really was thrilled to win. And the book just came in the mail the other day and looks so lovely. Really looking forward to it! Hah! I imagine I'll do the same thing when I finally make the move from the UK back to the US. I figure there are worse addictions. ;)

    ReplyDelete