Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Writing easy

Well, it seems to be official. I'm working on Project Demo again.

After paging through some of it on Friday, I couldn't stay away. I knew what I wanted to do. I only put in a few hours over the weekend, but I tore into the opening chapters, reworked them. It's a slight change word-wise, but I hope it's going to fix everything. Or at least, let me enjoy it again (for some of the backstory on this crazy development, see my Dear John letter to Project Demo).

Sunday night I got a phone call from a friend I haven't spoken to in a while. We were playing that catch up game, sharing what's been going on in our lives. "You seem better," my friend said. And I realized it was true. Last year was pretty rough, but I'm in a good place now.

And last night, as I fell asleep, I was thinking about Project Demo. "I love this novel," I said to myself. When did that happen?!

So I'm continuing to work on it. But easy. I refuse to be stressed, to set word count goals, or calendar deadlines. I want to enjoy this stage for a bit. If I start hating it again, I'll stop.

Because meanwhile, Project Fun is still waiting in the wings, bright and gleaming, full of possibility.

It's a good feeling.

10 comments:

  1. I think that's key--when you start hating a project, it's time to step back and let it go for a while. When you're ready to come back, you'll--like you experienced--not be able to stay away.

    Have fun, Anne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feeling of starting again on a novel I've shelved for a while. It's invigorating, like you're going back to a place you used to frequent but got tired of, and now you see the whole place in a new light.

    Good luck with Project Demo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with Project Demo. I know what you mean about that feeling where there are no goals, deadlines, word counts - it is so freeing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! So glad that the time away has rekindled the enthusiasm for you.

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is real writing, not the bean-counting we get bogged down with. Go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea: Yes, exactly! Who knew I was so smart? Guess trusting our guts works out sometimes!

    Anne: So true! I discovered a character this morning who I had completely forgotten. I mean, I knew he was in the story, but I had forgotten how much I loved him. It is like going back to a familiar stomping ground, but rediscovering how lovely it is. Thanks for the good luck wishes!

    Julia: Aw, thanks. Yes, it's good to remember writing can be fun like this.

    Elisabeth: Well, we'll see how long it lasts, but for now...! ;)

    Mirka: Aw, love this thought. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have to be in love with what you're working on. If it isn't fun for you, it won't be fun for your readers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yay, I'm glad you've found love again. :-) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly: I think I've always loved it, but we spent WAY too much time together! ;) Good to have it working again now, though.

    Anna & Regina: Aw, thanks!

    ReplyDelete