Tuesday, March 27, 2012

When writing is hard work (redux)

What do you do when you need to get to work, when someone is expecting revisions, or when you're on a tight deadline, but even the thought of turning on the computer makes you feel like running outside screaming? Not to mention, it's a glorious, sunny day, the kind that tempts writers to fly kites and play barefoot in the grass.

My first thought was, I should write a whiny blog post about this and ask for advice. Then, my second, wiser thought was: I think I've written about that before.

Sure enough, after a bit of searching, I dug up my previous post: When writing is hard work. Unfortunately I didn't provide myself with much in the way of answers. But YOU did. The comments on that post are a goldmine!

Here's what you suggested:

1. Break the work down into manageable, less-intimidating goals.


2. Tell others about my goals, so they can hold me accountable


3. Push myself to write only one sentence, in the hope that I'll get sucked into the work in spite of myself.

4. Revising what I wrote the day before might also suck me in.


5. Take frequent breaks as rewards. Go for a walk.


6. Focus on how good that end will feel.

7. Read for inspiration.

8. Chocolate.

Goodness, I have brilliant readers! Thanks, y'all. I'll update you on my progress.

In the meantime, any other suggestions?

Now back to work!

*The image is mine, from the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta

8 comments:

  1. Then, as now, I still say chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always the best answer to a large number of questions! ;)

      Delete
  2. Your number #1 point, always.
    "1. Break the work down into manageable, less-intimidating goals."

    I don't know why it took me a gazzilion years to figure that one out. I'm slow, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same way, Mirka (slow, I mean! ;) ). I think I'm such an overachiever, and an impatient person, I don't like to think small. But it is much less intimidating to think in little bits of work. I'm definitely trying that for this revision.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I totally get you Anne. But I know that you can do it. I highly recommend investing in some chocolate for your revision journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you think of the chocolate as an "investment." ;)

      Thanks for all the encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Oh yeah, the chocolate! Love the balloon pic. On our second wedding anniversary, my husband surprised me with an early morning hot air balloon ride. It was one of the sweetest memories - especially since I thought he was taking me to the mall to go early-bird shopping. (I hate to shop!)

    Good luck with the revisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a lovely gift, Bridgette! Bristol is unofficially the balloon capital of the world, and most days in the summer (when it's not raining) you can see a few balloons in the sky. Then they have the Fiesta every August, where there's hundreds... and it never gets old. So beautiful.

      Delete