Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Exciting (albeit not writing related!) news

I try not to get too personal here on Critically Yours, but those of you who have been following the blog a while, or are good at reading between the lines (which you likely are, considering my audience of writers!), probably know the past few years have been rough. There's been a lot of job uncertainty, exacerbated by living outside the US job market, on visas connected to my husband's employment.

So even though I said I was taking a blogging break for the next month, this news is too good not to share: my husband has just accepted a post-doctoral research position at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst! He'll be starting work this August, and he's thrilled to be joining a prestigious lab doing some exciting research (shrimp feeding mechanics FTW!). Plus, obviously we're eager to gain some stability in our lives.

We think Amherst will suit us well. It's an overly-educated town (home to UMass, Amherst College, Hampshire College, and the nearby Mount Holyoke and Smith), apparently crazy liberal, surrounded by state parks, birthplace of Emily Dickinson, and current home to one of my favorite YA novelists (no stalking is planned, I swear!).

The only downside, of course, is leaving all of the friends we've made in the UK. That isn't going to be easy at all.

In the meantime, while I'm not here for the next month, you can imagine me madly planning an international move, securing an apartment, buying a car, and figuring out whatever else needs to be done in the next three months... oh, and hopefully finishing the next draft of Project Demo.

Thanks for letting me share this big news with you. I promise I'll keep you posted as the move happens. Oh, and I KNOW some of you live nearby. I hope you'll give a warm welcome to this starry eyed midwesterner / expat!

18 comments:

  1. Well, for very selfish reasons I'm excited because now we'll be in the same state! And you'll be right near the Eric Carle Museum, which is always a plus. Once you're all settled, let me know and we can try to meet up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm so excited about the Eric Carle Museum! AND being near you! I would love to meet up with you, Anna, thanks so much for suggesting it!

      Delete
  2. Incredible, excellent news! We'll be neighbors of sorts, one state over :)

    I'm sure you've set out a little tap root into British soil so I know it will be hard to leave friends. And sad. But friends stay friends wherever they are.

    Just think, you'll be here in time to watch autumn in New England unfurl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Andrea! I do have to say, modern technologies certainly make long-distance friendships easier, and I'm so grateful for that.

      And autumn in New England! I hadn't even thought of that! An absolutely lovely thing to look forward to!

      Delete
  3. Such exciting news! Good luck with the move. I'm also just one state over in CT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KT! Good to know there ARE people somewhat nearby! I doubt I'll be the only writer in Amherst, but still! I already feel much more connected!

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is such fantastic news. So glad for your hubby. Sounds like a great opportunity for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Karen! It really is such a great job for him, and we really are thrilled.

      Delete
  5. oooh! You'll get to go to the NESCBWI next year! And maybe I'll even have a chance to finally meet you when you're in the Chi area visiting family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!!!! You have no idea how avidly I was stalking the recent Verla Kay posts about dinner there! ;) And what a line-up, my goodness!

      Anyway, yes, I would love to get together sometime in Chicago / WI. We should definitely keep that in my mind.

      Delete
  6. Yay for stability! As for the moving part - it's such a lot of work but what an exciting reason to have to do it! Congrats to hubs and how cool that you will end up in such a great area of the country for opportunities for writing conferences and meeting other writers.

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Elisabeth. Yes, I keep having USA moments and thinking, "It will be so nice to be back home." Usually they involve the weather and regular-sized fridges. ;) It WILL be exciting. And YES. The more I look into it, I can't believe what a hive of children's writing exists in western Mass. Almost a little intimidating! But it will be so good for me, too.

      Delete
  7. Huge congrats to you, Anne! That is big news, indeed. What a lot of changes you have ahead. (Which is sure to lead to plenty of writing inspiration.) Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Ruth. And yes, very much hoping it fuels some inspiration as well!

      Delete
  8. A very belated congrats to you and your husband on the new job assignment! Sounds like a lovely fit for you as well.

    I've been on a bit of a blogging break (both reading and writing) but I hope to get back in the groove soon. Your blog is always one of my first stops.

    Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Bridgette! It does feel like it could be a good fit, here's hoping!

      And thanks for always stopping by and maintaining our blogging (and real!) friendship. Happy Memorial Day to you, too!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! That's big news and a big move. I feel excited for you. I'm in the Southeast, but maybe I'll see you at a con one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Medeia! Definitely a much higher likelihood for seeing each other now!

      Delete