Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Saying goodbye to Bristol

Well, seeing as I said in my last post that I'd be back at the end of May, you can probably accurately surmise that life has been a little crazy. But (mostly) in a good way. I've been madly revising Project Demo, but I'm hopeful I'm getting somewhere... slowly. And of course I've been planning an international move--as of last week, we officially even have an apartment!

But I have missed life here at Critically Yours. I can't promise this means I'm back to blogging twice a week... the next few months promise much more chaos. But I'm hoping to post more frequently. Just consider any posts in the near future to be a pleasant surprise!

Speaking of planning an international move, last week my stand partner in my community orchestra asked me what special mementoes from Bristol I would be bringing back to the US. The question took me completely off guard, because the past few weeks have been all about slash and burn--making plans to get rid of practically everything in the apartment! I guess I'm not a very sentimental person. I've got great memories of my time in Bristol, hopefully lifelong friends, and a shelf full of author friends' books. That seemed plenty to me--but I've been thinking about my friend's question ever since.

And good thing, too. Saturday was my final rehearsal and concert with the Brunel Sinfonia, and  the viola section had a little presentation to say goodbye. They gave me a framed poster for our last concert, and a Bristol blue glass vase.

Bristol blue glass is a vibrant blue, wholly unique and beautifully crafted. It's expensive, too, which is why I've never bought any for myself--but when I opened the box the section gave me, my friend's question came back to me, and I was totally touched knowing that I now had a very special bit of Bristol to bring back with me.

So ever since then, I've been thinking about the inevitable process of saying goodbye. Yesterday I stopped by the bookstore to pick up goodbye gifts for my Reading Buddies I volunteer with at a local primary school. On the way home, I walked past Nelson Street, which last summer was the site of a massive graffiti project. I've passed it on the bus numerous times, walked by bits and pieces, but I've never actually walked down the street and taken it all in. I figured this time might be my last chance.

Here's some of the photos I took:

Looking down Nelson Street:


A close-up of the whale:


Walking down the street:









This is me turning onto the side street, Bridewell:



And on the main drag, Rupert Street:







I'm sure I'll be posting more in the coming weeks about saying goodbye. In the meantime... welcome back!

16 comments:

  1. wow - those are some talented artists! What a lovely thing for your fellow musicians to do as you're leaving. I'm like you (is it the international moves that do it?) - stuff is stuff and it's very rare that I'm sentimental about things. But that makes certain things, like your Bristol glass, stand out that much more!

    (on a side note Bartòk! love his stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to share the graffiti with you! I'm totally embarrassed it took me that long to go explore it. Now I'm almost tempted to go back and see it all again!

      I think it IS international moves that make people very un-precious about stuff. Though it hasn't yet worked with my husband... ;) And so true about how it makes some stuff even more special!

      But Barok?! UGH. It may sound good, but it was a PAIN to play! ;) Much more enjoyed the Tchaikowsky and Marquez!

      Delete
    2. Amherst will be *different*- guaranteed.
      As someone who struggles with change, I can feel the longings you're already experiencing. Let us know how goes, because I think you'll like where you're going

      Delete
    3. Aw, thanks, Mirka. I am nervous about it. But I suspect Amherst will suit me, too. I'll definitely let you know.

      Delete
    4. "I think it IS international moves that make people very un-precious about stuff. Though it hasn't yet worked with my husband... ;) "

      hmmm - mine either. What's up with that? Maybe the fact that (at least in my case) they don't do the packing? Or the unpacking. Or getting the moving boxes taken away. LOL

      Elisabeth

      Delete
    5. Hah! That might have something to do with it! ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is not like any graffiti I've ever seen. Amazing! The blue glass sounds lovely. What a treasured gift. Really, our memories are the most important things, aren't they?! In your thoughts you can revisit Bristol as often as you please.

    Continued good luck as you prepare for the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it incredible?! Bristol is the hometown of Banksy, a famous, clever graffiti artist, so I think Bristol attracts the best of street artists.

      And thanks for all your good wishes. You're absolutely right--I've got a lot of lovely memories stored up!

      Delete
  3. So good to have you back on Critically Yours! We've missed you.

    Incredible street art.

    No doubt that Bristol blue glass vase will always be your connection to your days in England. Perhaps it will end up being a talisman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Andrea! It really is nice to be back.

      Yes, I love the thought that I'll always have that vase to remind me of Bristol. And maybe it will bring a bit of good luck, too--I'm just desperately hoping I don't break it on the flight home!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your move, Anna! I know how stressful and exciting these major life moments can be. Best of luck with it!
    Nelsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nelsa! Good to have understanding and supportive friends as I move ahead!

      Delete
  5. That artwork is amazing! Thanks for sharing the pictures. It must be bittersweet to be leaving Bristol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is bittersweet. Honestly, very pleased to get back to the US, and I don't even mind leaving Bristol so much, but leaving behind people and a whole life... that's the hard bit!

      Delete
  6. Hi Anne, so glad to see you back here and read what you have been up to. The artwork is amazing. Glad you took the time to snap the photos and share. Here's wishing you and your husband much patience with the move. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Bridgette! Good to be back chatting with my blog friends! And how did you know patience was the one thing sorely lacking in my life at the moment?! ;)

      Delete