Thursday, August 30, 2012

Walking a novel

I'm in a funny place at the moment, both physically and mentally.



I'm still settling in to a new home, a new town, a different country (thank you for all of the napping encouragement on my last post--I'm feeling much better rested now!).

I'm also settling into a new writing project. While I'm waiting for feedback on Project Demo, I've decided to return to Project Fun. Remember Project Fun? Probably not, it was a short-lived affair last fall to escape Project Demo. The good news is, I've got a full rough draft to play with, an exciting story, and characters I love. Does it make much sense? No, but my drafts hardly ever do--that's the challenge.

But instead of launching myself full throttle into a new project, especially since I'm not under any pressure or deadlines at the moment, I want to play with a new way of writing, possibly even develop a new routine.

In the midst of exploring the area, I've discovered Amherst has an extensive trail system, including the paved 11-mile Norwottuck Rail Trail, along with several woodsy trail offshoots. Oh, and the whole system is a five-minute drive from my house!

So I've been taking advantage of the summer weather, and more free time than usual, by walking every day. And I've integrated this walking time into my morning writing schedule. I'll work for a bit, then take all my questions and ideas with me on the trail.

I think my writing routine could use a bit more thinking time, more play time, more spontaneity. And in the grand scheme of things, more thinking means less rewriting, right?

Well, maybe. But it definitely means more exercise. And have I mentioned how beautiful it is? This settling in might be going better than expected!


*All pictures are mine, taken on the Amherst trails

8 comments:

  1. So gorgeous! Walking in nature definitely helps me cogitate on projects. I'm so glad you're feeling settled in the new place. And I can't wait to read Project Fun, because it sounds so, fun :-).

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I should warn you, my critique group tells me I have a strange definition of fun! ;)

      I'm only regretting I can't bring my notebook, pens, and my laptop with me on the walks! But stepping away from that stuff has to be the point!

      Delete
  2. Playtime is such an important component of writing--you have to feed the well. And what a perfect, gorgeous trail you have! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Andrea. I think I often get caught up in work and forget that this is supposed to be fun and that in order to do it well, I need to be inspired.

      Delete
  3. I don't know about your 'funny place' mentally, but physically the place looks so beautiful. It feels contemplative, as does your post. I'd say you are harmonizing with the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful! So happy I could share a few shots on the blog.

      Harmonizing and contemplating sound about right.. it's a good place, to be sure.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures, Anne. And now I feel like I'm not getting out of the house enough. Enjoy the scenery and have fun with um, well, project fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth! I always feel that way, too! I used to drive through Bristol and thinking: What an incredible city! Why don't I see it more often?!

      Delete