Thursday, September 13, 2012

Making a place of my own

So I've finally moved into my "office" in the new house. And while I've had to forsake the lovely view and wind chimes tinkling in the breeze, the office gives me much more space. Plus, I've never had a proper office! I've always been a kitchen table writer, so to have a place to store my books, hang reminders and inspirations, and keep all my clutter in one place is really exciting.

This is still very much a work in progress, but I wanted to share a bit of it with you.



I bought my "desk" off Craigslist. Yes, I know it's a table. But like I said, I've always done well on kitchen tables. And I don't need drawers so much as space to spread.


Plus, I found this gorgeous little cabinet / printer stand at the Salvation Army and had to have it. I've installed a shelf inside, so it can hold a number of my books and art supplies (colored pencils, markers, crayons, highlighters--all essential to my writing process!). And once the bulletin board goes up, I'll be able to display inspirations for my writing and works in progress (no close ups, but those two postcards are vital to Project Fun).

Wondering about the art? Here's some close ups:

  


My grandmother was an artist. When she passed away and we sorted through her studio, I was so touched to find these sketches, which I recognized instantly. The top one is my dad as a boy, the bottom one is me as a little girl. Maybe it's a touch narcissistic, but I like having little me close by. Not only does it remind me of my grandmother, and how important art was to her, but also who I'm writing for. 

A few other important tidbits:


This is from my day care days. I don't know how I still have it, but I love it for some of the same reasons above.


My mom gave me the giraffe for Christmas last year, and I couldn't imagine leaving him behind in Bristol. Technically he's a screen cleaner, but he cuddles with me when the writing's going bad.

There's still a futon waiting to be delivered (perfect for guests! And writerly naps!), which is why I haven't hung the bulletin board yet. I need to make sure everything's properly centered so it doesn't drive me nuts when I try to work. Plus I have another piece of my grandmother's to hang, a stack of books, which will be perfect for the room. I'll show you more pictures in a few weeks, when it's all finished.

In the meantime, what is your writing space like? What treasures and talismans do you surround yourself with?

10 comments:

  1. It looks like a wonderful space for creating. Is there good natural light? I Love the drawing of your Dad. I think I would have recognized him. Something about the arm position...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get pretty good natural light, though it's easy to say that in early September! We'll see how it is in January!

      Delete
  2. All I can think is HOW NEAT YOU ARE. And that the Giraffe is my favorite animal- I think of it as an impossible looking creature.
    How fun to see your space as you gradually move everything in. Fun for us, I mean. You may wish it were all settled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I'm going to assume you don't mean neat as in tidy (cause I'm not!), but neat as in neat-o! So thank you! ;)

      My husband has pointed out that the giraffe really isn't a giraffe since it hardly has a neck. Some of the biology must've been lost in the conversion to screen wiper. ;)

      I do wish I were all settled... but it's fun to play and test things out in the space, too.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing the writing spaces of other writers! So glad you are getting settled. I'm still writing at the dining table or on my lap desk, usually in the "sweet spot" in the corner of the sofa, or on our bed. However I'm getting the study cleared up after a massive rearrangement of furniture in there, plus other stuff due to the new washing machine (yay!) so there's hope yet that I might actually write in there some day!

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh--I hope you are able to have a space of your own. Have to say, I'm really enjoying it!

      Delete
  4. I love the giraffe! I have an office, too, but it's way too hot to use in the summer. You've inspired me to start dusting in there so I can get back to using it soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a pain about your office, especially at a time when I imagine you have more freedom to write! But glad to inspire you to move back in!

      Delete
  5. Lovely space, esp. the old drawings. I also have a room of my own to write and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vijaya! It's so nice to have your own space, isn't it?

      Delete