Thursday, October 25, 2012

November goals

November is approaching. For me, November means the new routines of the fall are finally sinking in. It also means longer days and colder nights. And legions of writers pushing themselves to write a novel in a month (NaNoWriMo).

I'm not a NaNo-er myself (see Why I'm Not NaNoWriMo-ing), but I have the utmost admiration for those who are, especially those who are attempting it for the first time. I find those writers' enthusiasm and drive truly inspirational. I must--I searched through my archives for this post, and discovered I've blogged about NaNo (setting goals, sharing links, resolving to slow down, etc) every November since the blog started.

This November I find myself wondering if I can use NaNo to push myself just a little bit harder.

Have you you seen this amazing post from author Rachel Aaron about writing 10,000 words a day? It's been around for a while, but it's worth a read. Aaron breaks writing speed into three categories: Knowledge, Time, and Enthusiasm. And while I can't ever imagine writing 5K in a day, let alone 10, her methods are totally approachable and helpful.

Earlier this month, agent Rachelle Gardner blogged about increasing productivity, and then this past week offered a free opportunity to try Rescue Time to increase your productivity.

Unfortunately, at least for this November, I'm not looking to increase my word count. And while Rescue Time sounds incredibly useful, I'm not sure it would work for me. But I would like to harness this NaNo spirit. My goal for November is to finish my first revision of Project Fun. Strangely, my goal last November was to finish a first draft of Project Fun! A lot of other stuff happened in between, but I'm glad to be back to it--and to have the chance to pull it all together this time.

Do you have a goal for November? And have you ever found a way to consistently increase your output / efficiency?

6 comments:

  1. My goal (as part of the extended JoNoWriMo - 1.5 months instead of the one month of November) is to finish my newly developed (from a back-burner idea) MG with paranormal elements.

    I've put the (totally supportive) husband on notice that I'm determined to meet this goal - even if it means utter chaos in the house (ok, more utter chaos than usual) and fleeing to the library or other places to get quiet in which to write.

    As for output - I just write at the speed that I write, which is pretty fast if I can get a good stretch of time in which to do it (minimum 1 hour, preferably more).

    I have tried writing at a standing workstation recently and I am really liking it. Not sure if it's affecting the writing but I feel like I can detect some fitness benefits so that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say that's one of the keys to NaNo success: putting the family on alert that you will be working more than usual.

      Good for you pushing yourself like this. Can't wait to hear the results!

      Delete
  2. I've tried NaNo twice and the most I could get out was about 30K. Not bad. But fast drafting is not what I like to do. Plus I just have too many distractions.

    But I do have some goals for November, which is to be finished with my novel. That's exciting. We'll have to see how the submission process goes in 2013.

    If you need a push, you should do it. I know that there are plenty of people you already know that are doing it and they have fabulous daily posts and message boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so pleased to hear you're going to use November to push to the end of your novel, Karen! Yay! Go you!

      Not sure how to incorporate revising with NaNo-ing. But definitely planning to feed off all that NaNo energy!

      Delete
  3. Hi Anne,
    I just finished revising my verse novel and am giving myself a little time to get my head back into my next project (the one I set aside to tackle revisions.) But, you're right, I should probably make a goal for November, otherwise it could easily slip away and I'd have nothing to show for it. Good luck revising Project Fun. Now I'm going to click on those links you've shared. Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Ruth, sometimes I think it's healthy just to give ourselves some time--so hard when one is an obsessive-compulsive writer type, though! Good luck whenever you move on to the next project, though.

      Delete