Thursday, March 28, 2013

Blog love

Unlike many writers, I've never kept a diary, at least not long-term. My life's not that thrilling, and re-living it each day bores me to tears.

But my blog feels different. It has a theme in my writing journey (and hopefully even some forward momentum!). And, at least ostensibly, it's for other readers. The writer part of me agonizes over explaining everything exactly and perfectly. The teacher part of me loves sharing all my wise ponderings. But I also love having readers who share their own insights, in their comments and on their blogs, and offer encouragement, support, and community.

So while I'm nearing Critically Yours' four year anniversary (yes, really, it's this summer!), and Google is pulling out of the reader business, and all the tech gurus are talking about what's next on the horizon now that blogging's apparently totally passé, I still love it. I still find meaning in it, too. Just last week I was thinking about how easily Project Fun has come together, and re-reading my archives (instead of actually writing, of course!) and remembering those good and hard times, my struggles with craft, my breakthroughs, and getting inspired all over again. Not to mention my various posts on moving, life overseas, my travels... it's all here!

Maybe, probably, that's narcissistic. And I certainly haven't used my blog to its fullest advantage--I don't publicize it widely, I don't participate in blog contests or book tours, I don't write on trendy subjects, or scour Stat Counter so I can capitalize on what interests my readers. I keep Critically Yours totally me.

But I won't be letting go anytime soon. I just hope, whatever future is in store for the technology, I can hold onto the archives!

Did you love blogs? And, in the meantime, has anyone found any good Google Reader alternatives?

8 comments:

  1. I still love reading blogs. Although I find myself reading more Tumblrs. I may even start a Tumblr.

    As for Google Reader, I've been using Feedly -- not totally perfect but it does let it have my Tumblrs and blogs feeds in one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm going to regret asking this, but are some of your favorite tumblrs? I read them sometimes when they're linked from Twitter, but I don't follow any.

      Thanks for the rec on Feedly. Good to have one definite place to check out.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog too, Anne.
    Oh, and *YES* I like mine quite a bit. I wouldn't keep it up if I didn't enjoy it. It isn't as if a large crowd is clamoring to read it.
    I subscribe to very few, but regularly read many more as an occasional visitor. Most writers write such good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Mirka. So nice to read and share blogs, isn't it? I of course enjoy yours, too!

      That's really the truth--writers write well, therefore the reading isn't too onerous at all.

      Delete
  3. I love blogs!

    I'm using the Old Reader, which is designed to mimic the Google Reader of 2010. I'm in the import queue-- currently #14307-- to pull in all my Google subscriptions. It's taken about a week for them to process about 11,000. So far, so good. =O

    I've manually subscribed to a few blogs, and it seems fine. Certainly less splashy/irritating to navigate than feedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a LONG import queue, though I guess it makes sense with the recent Reader announcement. If you happen to see this comment, do let me know when you finally get through! 11K in a week sounds not so bad!

      Good to have the rec, I'll check it out. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I still love blogging and reading blogs, and if I just had the time, I would write many more posts and visit other people's blogs more. But my time is so limited, I can now choose to write--or blog. So I've gone with writing and very rarely posting something. And it is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you still manage a post sometimes, Mary, but honestly, in the hopes of future books, I'd rather you wrote than blogged, too!

      Delete