Thursday, March 21, 2013

Carpe diem?

I've had a good past few weeks on the writing front. At the end of February, I finished my latest revision of Project Fun. One of my most trusted beta readers got back to me and said she thought it was almost ready to go. On a long bus ride to Boston and back, I read it myself, and came to the same startling conclusion. Then last week another beta reader got back to me; she read Project Fun in practically one sitting, she loved it.

Do you remember that scene at the end of When Harry Met Sally? It's New Year's Eve, and Harry suddenly realizes he loves Sally and runs to find her at a big party. While she listens, confused and a little annoyed, Harry lists all the reasons he loves her. Finally he concludes: "I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

That's exactly how I feel. I first developed the characters for Project Fun in 2008. The plot finally came to me in 2011. I started working on the story in earnest this past fall. And all along, I've loved it. I can't wait to start sending it out into the world.

But of course, that's the crazy scary part, too. While the new revisions are already almost completely done, I know the beginning needs some more work, maybe even a brand new opening scene. The end needs a line here and there to flesh out a minor character's emotions. The query is still rough (any great query critiquers out there?! I'd love some feedback!). I'm waiting for one more beta reader to get back to me. And in May I'm signed up for New England SCBWI Conference--maybe I should hold off until then in case I get some more feedback? I do want to make sure the beginning will draw in readers... Let's be honest, I'm so scared to submit Project Fun and hear nothing but nos.

But on the other hand, I'm just not sure how long I can wait. I'm terrified, but excited, too. And like Harry, whatever the outcome, I'm eager for what comes next to start as soon as possible. 

Is this a familiar feeling to you, too? Or am I totally crazy? How are your writing projects progressing?

8 comments:

  1. I totally get this, Anne!
    I am oh-so-close with my novel right now, too. And it's taken so long to get here that it almost feels like I'm done. But, like you, I still have some small fixes to do. And they shouldn't be rushed. I know this, and yet I am so excited because this feels like my best work yet, that I'm dying to get it out there. I have to remind myself, almost daily, to have patience and take it slow. I don't want to rush the story along. I know, in time, the glitch in the ending that needs ironing out will come to me. How sad would it be if it came along after I had already sent the story into the world?
    Congratulations on seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for Project Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is exactly it, Ruth. And how exciting to know you're in the same boat! Good luck finishing everything and congratulations yourself!

      Delete
  2. Yes, there's always that struggle with wanting to get a story out there and to hold on and polish it some more. Sort of like raising kids--you want them to grow up and take on the world, but you want to keep guiding and advising "just a little longer!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a good metaphor for it, Ann!

      Delete
  3. Yes, Anne- that engine revving and the rush of wanting to start the drive is familiar. The challenge for me is to get through the second part, the middle.
    Happy driving, and may the trip reveal fantastic vistas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only writer like this--though that's probably due in large part to the long slog it takes to get to this point!

      Delete
  4. Sounds exciting, Anne! Wishing you inspiration and boldness in finishing up your baby and sending it out into the world! ;) --Monica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Monica! Heaps of inspiration and boldness sounds like EXACTLY what I need! *hugs*

      Delete