Thursday, April 18, 2013

A welome break

The past few weeks have been slightly manic. I've been combing through final edits on Project Fun, ensuring every T is crossed, and every little detail makes logical sense. It's been unexpectedly time-consuming, and I've probably lost some hair in the process. I've also been searching for a new home in North Carolina, and busy with all the other fun stuff that comes with moving (cleaning my current apartment to show to prospective tenants, researching banks, health insurance, jobs, etc).

Meanwhile, I'm also helping to plan a baby shower for my sister.

Yes, that's right. My sister's expecting a little boy, and I'm SOOOO excited. I'll be a first time aunt!

I queried friends on baby showers, visited a number of stores to look at invitations and decorations, and searched through Pinterest and Etsy to gather ideas. I fell in love with some hand-made invitations, and decided I could create something similar. So I emailed my family with my brilliant idea, and made another trip to the stores, this time to look at card stock, buttons, and sequins. A few family members, very kindly, wrote back to ask if I was crazy (though of course they phrased it more considerately). Did I really have this kind of time?

Well, yes, okay, I am a little busy. And my husband laughed one day when he came home to find me wandering around with a pair of scissors, searching for the perfect little button. But don't you find that some things, even when they add time, subtract from stress?

Being artsy is one of those things for me. And for such a joyful cause? Even better.

On that note, I am going to be away from the blog for the next week, maybe longer, as I try to stay on top of everything.

In the meantime, what are your favorite anti-stress activities? And favorite picture book presents for parents expecting a child?

12 comments:

  1. How exciting! Congrats!! I always get Eric Carle and Sandra Boynton board books as baby gifts. I figure you can't go wrong with those. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already got The Hungry Caterpillar, as well as a matching t-shirt! ;) Should check out Sandra Boynton, though!

      Delete
  2. I love love love the Usborne Touchy Feely board books. We got the Kidlet one for her first birthday and it was a favorite for years.

    Also great are little board books that attach to the stroller with a springy cord. Let me know if you can't find one of those and I'll send you one (some of them are only pictures so language isn't a factor :-)

    Craft time or immersing myself in projects that are tactile and require a different kind of creativity is really therapeutic for me, too. Gives the writing part of my brain a rest but still fulfills the creative side of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tons of great suggestions, thanks, Elisabeth!

      Yes, that's exactly it, tactile, a different part of the brain... like a field trip for my muse!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I love baby showers. I give all the babies I know PEEPO and EACH PEACH PEAR PLUM by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. Flyn's favourite at the moment is DEAR ZOO by Rod Campbell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestions, thank you! And I have to say, I bet you do even baby showers with style!

      Delete
  4. Aw, you'll be an auntie. Wishing your sister and nephew much health and happiness.

    Good luck with the move. Just be prepared for it to be HOT & HUMKD this summer. :)

    For stress relief, I love needlepoint. I think I may start up a project this summer. Oh, and sleep. Loves me some sleep too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Karen!

      So, are you saying that about the humidity because it's ALWAYS awful and humid? Or have you ordered up some humidity special for me?! ;)

      Sleep always helps with my stress levels, too!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Make that Crazy Auntie Anne! I can't wait! ;)

      Delete
  6. I love crafting, writing, and painting to unwind. Sounds like you are having a great time with the invitations =)

    A picture book for all parents, IMO: Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds arts and crafts relaxing! The Giving Tree is a good suggestion!

    ReplyDelete