Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Moving

I'm at that funny stage in the moving process where I can't wait for it to actually happen. Sure, it will be a logistical nightmare, exhausting, sweaty, overwhelming. I'll be leaving behind a place I've really enjoyed living, along with numerous friends, and an incredibly smart and supportive writing group. And I'll be moving some place I don't know well, and which feels a fair way out of my comfort zone. But at least, once the move is done, it's DONE, and I can stop dreading it. Plus, even though I seem to have a lot of experience at it, I really hate goodbyes.

Several weeks ago, Phil and I flew down to North Carolina, and found a small house for rent in an older, tree-filled neighborhood, within walking distance of lots of shops, cafes, and parks. Knowing where we're going to be living makes the transition easier; it gives me a place to visualize, to mentally decorate with our stuff, and to call home.

And it's encouraged me to start compiling a mental list of things I AM looking forward to in North Carolina:
  • Central air (it's been a really hot, sticky past week)
  • A dishwasher (my current dishwasher, Phil, is great, but sometimes a bit ornery)
  • A dog (Phil and I both have been waiting a long time--six years since Connor!--to live some place that will let us have a dog. A new best friend is one of our first priorities)
  • A back porch (I love the idea of writing outside, and our new porch has a great view. Plus, no creepy, too close neighbors!)
  • A house that's all our own, with no shared walls (see above hint regarding our current neighbor)
Admittedly, it's a small list, all focused on the new place. But hopefully, being safe, comfortable, and happy in our home will give us courage and excitement to explore our new surroundings, too. I have heard rumors of an excellent bookshop within walking distance. And eventually I'll find a new writing group, a local library, and hopefully even some friends.

The move is in July. Once it gets closer, I'll probably go on another blog hiatus, and my Twitter feed will be an endless string of stress and frustration (lucky readers!). But in the meantime, strangely, I'm counting the days.

How do you deal with big changes in your life?

12 comments:

  1. You're so brave, Anne! And you have thrived through so many moves already. I'm sure this one will be another great adventure to add to your experiences. It sounds like you have a lot to look forward to. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for all your kind wishes, Ruth. Here's to great adventures and trying my best to be brave!

      Delete
  2. Moving is so stressful -- I totally understand you just wanting it to be over. Your new house sounds lovely and I hope you enjoy your stay in the South. :)

    I'm in the process of putting my house on the market -- I have no idea where I'm moving to -- but I just know it's time for a change -- I'm trying to stay in the moment and see what it takes me.

    Good luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I will let you know if I don't enjoy my stay in South! ;)

      Goodness, I didn't realize you were going to be moving, too. Good for you for forcing yourself into a change--sounds exciting and scary all at once, which can only be a good thing.

      Delete
  3. All you changes sound terrific. Now I'm looking forward to YOUR move also!
    Mine, however much for the better, were always stressful for me. But I think I can enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mirka. Moving is definitely always better observed than experienced. ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad this move will bringing you some quality-of-life things like dogs and dishwashers. the porch sounds great too but maybe not in the high summer heat :-P (I wilt).

    We're coming up on 2 months since the end of our move and I can say that it finally feels "over" enough that we feel settled. And I'm sure you'll get to that place much faster than we did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, the porch will definitely not be enjoyed until September, at the earliest! I need to acclimate to this crazy hot southern weather!

      Ugh, I hope it takes us less than two months, but I suspect that's probably what it took in Mass.

      Delete
  5. Making a list of positives is definitely a good trick, and I'm glad you were able to find a house that will work for you. You can do it! *shakes pompoms*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those pompoms--much needed! ;)

      Delete
  6. Didn't realise you were moving again. yikes. Sounds like a lovely place, though. Good luck. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. Yep, the fun never stops! ;)

      Delete