Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Life changes

Some of you are probably thinking, "Life changes?" But Anne, your life is all about changes! You just moved to North Carolina! And a year ago, from overseas to Massachusetts. True, but throughout all that, daily life has been pretty same-y. I've been writing a ton, as well as taking care of everything on the domestic front, and working or volunteering at schools a few days a week. I've had time to play in an orchestra, join reading groups, meet friends for coffee in the middle of the day, and occasionally travel around the world with my husband.

But last week I accepted a full-time Language Arts teaching position at a local middle school. I'm really looking forward to hanging out with kids full-time again, learning along with them, and passionately discussing books, writing, and words. Along with all the other things 13-year-olds find themselves getting up to. And I do think it was time for a change in my life, new challenges and hopefully successes. But obviously my daily life is about to undergo a giant shift.

I feel like I'm in a boat, watching the horizon change in front of my eyes, and madly trying to batten down the hatches, pull in the sails, and prepare for everything that's to come. But of course that's not possible. Rather, I should be enjoying the sea wind in my hair and settling down for a crazy ride.

I'm hoping to keep up with the blog, as well as the writing. But first I've got some maneuvering to do! Wish me luck!


*Picture belongs to me, taken on the deck of Bristol's S. S. Great Britain.

9 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! Congrats! It'll probably take a little getting used to, but I'm sure it'll be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, am sure it'll be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teaching is rewarding and tough. I'm sure you'll have an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the job Anne! So glad everything worked out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very exciting, Anne. I hope this shift energizes your writing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a stationary tree I live vicariously through your many transitions... Best on the new job, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your lovely comments and encouragement, everyone! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes... as soon as I have a sense of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for stopping by, Meg, and for the congrats!

      Delete